The story of Fonderia Quaglia & Colombohas always been closely linked to the local area. The business was started by a group of young ex-employees from Franco Tosi, a well-known engineering works based in Legnano. They managed to turn their small enterprise into a proper company thanks to the involvement of Luigi Colombo: a visionary entrepreneur who decided to invest in their project by constructing the foundry’s first industrial building in 1949.
The company always enjoyed steady growth in its production capacity, but the real turning point came in 1964, when Giuseppe, a young engineer and son of Luigi, joined the company after a period of training at the Monfort foundry in Mönchengladbach. Giuseppe Colombo decided on immediate improvements in terms of technology and production, and introduced a number of key innovations to stimulate growth. Alongside the production of grey cast ironthe foundry started to produce ductile iron; cupola furnaces were replaced by electric furnaces; no-bake moulding was introduced and the green sand moulding process was automated. In the 1990s, Giuseppe’s sons, Luigi and Paolo, also joined the company and began the process of automating all the foundry’s production systems.